Directives on Bookkeeping
1) Each Chapter should have a non-interest bearing/non-profit checking account. Four (4) signatures are required: Chapter President, Treasurer, Financial Secretary and the Manager of National Chapter Services & Support. When new officers are installed, new signature cards must be filed. It is mandatory to have two (2) authorized signatures on all checks written from the Chapter checking account.
Separate checking accounts may be required by your individual state (i.e. Bingo, Raffle, etc.). Please consult the National Chapter Services & Support Manager for clarification.
2) You may retain $500 in your Chapter checking account for a working capital. Maintaining larger balances due to upfront expenses for upcoming projects, trips, bingo, etc. and bank service fees require consulting the National Chapter Services & Support Manager. At no time may Chapters invest funds in financial instruments.
Uniform and consistent bookkeeping among Deborah Chapters is a must if we are to be able to tabulate monies raised at the end of the year.
3) The Chapter is responsible quarterly to submit a financial report itemizing Chapter income and disbursements, bank balance, and inventory of all merchandise on hand. These reports along with your quarterly Chapter clearance check and the appropriate bank statements must be forwarded to the National Office using the following deadline dates:
April 25 July 25 October 25 January 5
*Any monies received after the first week in January will be credited to the New Year.
4) The IRS requires that a proper acknowledgement for tax purposes be sent to the donor for contributions of $250 or more. Such donations received at the Chapter level should be deposited into the Chapter’s checking account. For each contribution, Chapter Treasurers must complete the Development Credit Form (see the Directive on Chapter Credit section) and send it to the National Office. The Manager of National Chapter Services & Support will properly acknowledge these contributions.
5) Annually the Foundation is required to audit a percentage of our Chapters in order to maintain our 501(c) (3) non-profit status. If your Chapter is chosen, you will be notified in writing by the Manager of National Chapter Services & Support as to the necessary information needed. Please give your full cooperation.
6) Each Chapter is required to maintain a separate cash receipts and cash disbursements ledger. All donations must be receipted to the donor preferably with your receipt book and a letter. This way there is a complete and accurate record of all donations.
7) Please remember to draw separate checks for the following: Bingo, Regional Raffle and any other Regional Project, Plaques, Deborah Way, Tree of Life, Life Membership, and general account clearance.
Printable Quarterly Financial Report
** Please note that this form needs to be printed on legal size paper. **